29 Oktober 2013

Is Alter Ego Needed?

Few weeks ago, a little "coinaccident" (coincident-accident) conversation between me and my buddies happened on twitter. At some point, one of mi-buddies said that he has another blog managed by his-other-self. His alter ego. And that "guy" has the mind of his own.
Well, now, that's an intriguing topic to discuss!

Alter ego. What is that? Is it necessary to have one? Is it needed? If I had one, how to manage it? Hmm.. I may not exactly know the meaning of alter ego is, but it's like Clark Kent to Kal El (Superman), Batman to Bruce Wayne, Spiderman to Peter Parker, Iron Man to Tony Stark. It's like your other self. But not other identities, like alias. More like the manifestation of your inner self.

Okay, wait a minute, that's my opinion about the definition. I might be wrong, so let's see what the dictionary says about the formal definition of alter ego.

Wikipedia defines alter ego as follow: An alter ego (Latin, "the other I") is a second self, which is believed to be distinct from a person's normal or original personality. A person who has an alter ego is said to lead a double life. (Source: wikipedia)
============================================
alter ego
n.
1. Another side of oneself; a second self.
2. An intimate friend or a constant companion.

[Latin : alter, other + ego, I, self.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
============================================
alter ego [ˈæltər ˈiːgəʊ ˈɛgəʊ]
n
1. a second self
2. a very close and intimate friend
[Latin: other self]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
============================================
al•ter e•go (ˈɔl tər ˈi goʊ, ˌɛg oʊ, ˈæl-)
n.
1. an inseparable friend.
2. a second self; a perfect substitute or deputy.
3. another aspect of one's personality.
[1530–40; < Latin: another I]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
(source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/alter+ego)
============================================
Well, I wasn't so wrong to define it, was I?

Q: Okay, so, does Nina have one?
A: I do. ^_^

Q: Why?
A: I have my own reason.

Q: Since when?
A: Since forever, I think. I don't quite remember.

Q: What's your alter ego's name?
A: I don't really have name for her. But in my childhood her name is Alvin--until I found out that Alvin is a name for a boy. Hahaha.. Then I changed her name to Sandra. But I don't like it when she's Sandra--she's a pain in the ass *pardon my language*.
And when I was in high school (1994) I changed my alter ego's name become Alex--inspired by a TV series "Sisters" (1991-1996)--these sisters have male dear-names; Alexandra was called Alex; Theodora, Teddy; Georgiana, Georgie; and Francesca, Frankie. I LOVE it! And so, I adopted the name Alex. And in time, the name became Alexa or Alyxx.

Q: So, her name is Alexa or Alyxx?
A: Yeap.
image borrowed from pinterest

Q: Any surname?
A: Hmm.. not telling. ^_^

Q: Okay. So, are alter egos have to be the same gender with their real person?
A: Hmm.. I don't think there's any rule nor manual guidance about it, but most people has the same gender with their alter ego. But some has different gender alter ego, like singer Nicki Minaj and her Roman alter ego. ^_^

Q: Do you think it's necessary to have one?
A: For me, yes. But I use it ocassionally, not all the time. Only in time of needed. And yes, sometimes it's like she has the mind of her own (like Bisot's).

Q: What for?
A: Well.. Let's say... because I need a room to express my most honest-self. Alyxx IS that room. In my culture, a girl automatically carries a "burden" to behave ourselves in front of the society. Especially a girl of hijab, like me. You may call it a hidden-hypocrisy, but to me it's nothing like that at all.
I see myself as pieces of puzzle. I have many elements in my characteristics, sometimes it's contradicting with each other, depends on the mood I am in. I can be good and bad at the same time, I can be bitchy and angelic at the same time. It's not hypocrisy. It's just me. The whole puzzle is me. And Alyxx is part of that puzzle.

Image belongs to geekytyrant.com
Image belongs to geekytyrant.com
Q: What's Alyxx mean to you?
A: Alyxx is my shell, my shield and my inner beast. She's my dark side. She's my mirror, my projector and my reflection. She's everything I am and I am not.

Q: Is her personality the same with yours?
A: Yes. Let me be frank, for me, alter ego and split personality are two different things. It's not the same at all. You can't control your other-self if it was split personality---like Jeckyll and Hyde; Bruce Banner and Hulk. You don't control each other. They're two different persons.
Alter ego is not like that. You are fully controlling your alter ego. But, as I said earlier, sometimes it's like having the mind of its own--although I really think it's my own mind, but hidden because of my burden of behaving myself I mentioned earlier..

Q: So you're saying, Nina and Alyxx has the same personalities?
A: Yes, we do. But I'm nicer and she's bolder.

Q: Have you ever confused of which are you right now, Nina or Alyxx?
A: So far, Nina have never confused. But Alyxx, almost always. Hahaha..

Q: Why is that?
A: Well, because Alyxx's existence is under Nina's permission and supervision.

Q: Okay. Are you happy with the existence your alter ego?
A: I certainly am! Because that means, I own the room to express myself further and deeper and stay in secrecy.

Q: Does any of your family know about this alter ego of yours?
A: No. Of course not. Even if they do, I don't think they'd care.

Q: Any of your friends know?
A: They do, now--if they read this! Hahaha.. Only friends who has alter egos too.. Because only people who owns alter ego understands each other, understand "our own kind". But I do have a friend who doesn't own alter ego, and yet she knows that I have one and she understands it perfectly and respect me equally. I'm blessed that I have wonderful, receptive and understanding friends like them. ^_^

Q: Is your alter ego making friend?
A: Of course. But only cyber friends and nothing more.

Q: Why not?
A: Hmm.. How to put this... well, she's imaginary. Her character is imaginary, although the personality is real--because she's my reflection. Beside, I don't need an extra trouble or a double-life. But if there is someone attracted with this Alyxx, and came after her, and when in the end he'd find me, then he decided to keep me as a friend, or even more, it would be great! No. It would be AMAZING! But such thing, never happened. Hahaha..

Q: Who is your favorite alter ego superhero?
A: Definitely Selina Kyle and Catwoman. Like my Alyxx, Catwoman has her own moral code. She's neither villain nor hero. And she doesn't take order. She'd do anything she likes and you can't force her to do something she doesn't want. ^_^ She's very much like Alyxx.

Q: What would you say to other people who has alter ego and people who want to have one?
A: To all comrades who have alter egos, I'd say, "Hell, yeah! Keep it rock and roll!" ^_^
And to all who wanted to have one, "Be true to yourself. Stay in control and everything will be alright. Good luck and God speed." ^_^

2 komentar:

bisotisme.com mengatakan...

sebenernya sih satu kepribadian cuma ada beberapa tempat/keadaan yg menharuskan saya memakai topeng dgn istilah "behave", daripada melawan saya tanggalkan ego dan mengikuti arus, namun rupanya terlalu sering ini terjadi hingga terbiasa, than here we are, me, my self and I are different :D

Nina Razad mengatakan...

@ Om Icot: Nah... Begitulah.. hehehehehee.. Cuma beda karakter/topeng aja yaa? ^_^